Saturday, April 08, 2006

Snooker Shambles:

I other day I read that a top snooker player has reportedley said that snooker is in a 'bit of a shambles’. It reminded me that I feel genuinely sad about the continuing decline of snooker over that last few years. Everyone can make an excuse of why this has happened; loss of tobacco sponsorship, no characters in the game now, the cloth is too smooth, the pockets are too easy, and the list goes on. Although there appears to be no actual movement in the correct direction, I expect that behind the scenes that there is something happening. I just wish that they would make those differences they are making visible to all.

If you were asked the question ‘who were the best players in snooker?’, we would get varied replies Steve Davis, Stephen Hendry, Alex Higgins, Joe Davis and so on. In my humble opinion I say look at these players and see why they made the sport great in their time, work on that as a base. I do think that when you try to take the luck or spontaneity out of any sport then that is when the sport goes into decline.

No comments: